Friday, October 28, 2011

Support the LGBT Community Today

I was reminded that today is dedicated to the support of the LGBT Community and awareness of LGBT suicide by my little American cousin, which made my heart swell with pride and happiness given that she is being raised in an evangelical Christian family, and therefore I had no idea that she would be so openly supportive of this cause. Alas I woke up this morning only to discover that I do not own a single item of purple clothing, and since today is not dedicated to the same cause in Italy it would have been an entirely lost gesture anyway, but I did change my facebook profile picture to purple and decided to write this post to show my support instead. 

As I  have written about before on this blog, it sickens me how much homophobia is tolerated in todays socitey. It was compounded by my morning intake of news, during which I was confronted with these two news stories

Whether you choose to spread awareness, support and vote for legislation for equality, or to simply step in when you see hatred and discrimination happening in front of you, show your support for the LGBT community's fight for equality today.

Thank you

PS I must roll my eyes and stop a troll message just waiting to happen. No I am not a lesbian. No I am not a closeted lesbian or a bisexual. I am one of the few women that I know that has never kissed another woman, because the idea does not appeal to me in the slightest, not even when drunk on a dare. However this does not preclude me from having a strong opinion on the matter. You don't have to be a woman to abhor misogyny or the stoning of women. You don't have to be black to be disgusted with the KKK. You don't have to be gay to wear purple today in a show of support.

No comments:

Post a Comment