Monday, February 20, 2012

Book Review: Sister

I felt it was time to read me a little thriller with a twist for a change, and so I wound up landing on Sister by Rosamund Lupton. Hey it was cheap, it had some decent reviews and it was referred to as a "psychological thriller" (which is usually code for "slightly more effort was put into this" thriller) so I figured I'd give it a try.

All in all I suppose I enjoyed it, if for no other reason than it was written in a slightly different fashion and thus giving it a spark of originality. The main character is far from likeable, she's overbearingly snobbish at best and outright racist at worst, and it makes me sad to think that there would be numerous English people that would relate to her brand of snobbery or at least know someone in their family that is like that. However the point of the book is her growth out of that mentality, something she learns to do to emulate her lost sister, which is a slow and laborious process but one she undertakes nonetheless. It is this emphasis put on her struggling to leave her ignorance behind that makes me forgive its presence in the book, however annoying it sometimes was.

I would recommend this book to someone who enjoys the genre and is looking to wile away a few hours. I only unmasked the killer a few pages before the author revealed him and never saw the second revelation coming, which for me is quite good. There is nothing that I hate more than reading a predictable thriller that you keep reading just to finish it and get it over with, and this one definitely kept me engaged until the last page. For the biologists out there like me be prepared to give the author a little artistic liberty in the matters of science, but not so many that it becomes an eye-roller. In the words of a good friend of mine: "More of a Jurassic Park, not an Angels and Demons" :)

Please tell me you have at least read those two books so as to get that reference

No comments:

Post a Comment