Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I May Have Gotten A Little Overexcited...

Pharyngula has done it again, and led me to a truly fantastic discovery. Despite the weird decision on Minnesota's part to ban this site, I think they may have just Streisand-ed Coursera, at least I for one would never have found out about it if it weren't for this story.

It is, in my opinion, one of the coolest initiatives that I have come across so far. It is based on the principle that everyone should have access to education, regardless of background. Thus, Professors from top Universities all over the world are offering free online courses for a variety of different subjects, complete with exams and a certificate of completion. That just might be the best idea ever.

So I may have gotten a little overexcited. I signed up for 5, at least two of which overlap significantly, while being a PhD student with deadlines, an English tutor, a regular gym-goer, a by myself-liver, a twice a month Rome-traveller and a would-be writer. Yeesh, like I'm not busy enough!

My first course hasn't started yet, but I will let you know if they are as awesome as I think they're going to be. In the meantime, do check out the Biology section, I actually had to be very very conservative with myself or I would have signed up for three times as many courses by now!

Agh if only my boyfriend spoke better English, the Science of Gastronomy course has his name written all over it...

No comments:

Post a Comment